Happy New Year Beauties!
2016 is upon us and if you haven’t yet thought about it (or think you might be just happy to continue the “no-makeup for me” look) just remember, there’s still a method to the makeup madness - a little bit if preparation goes a LONG way. Looking perfect without actually looking like you are trying takes a few basics to get you started on the #SKINFIT and fab journey in 2016.
This year I am learning to find ways to use what I have to get the best out of my items so that I am not spending my weekly lunch money on cosmetic products. If you want to get on the band-wagon and save some $$$ without compromising your perfect visage, here’s my 2016 tips to get the best from your kit;
1. SKINCARE IS THE KEY TO A FLAWLESS FACE
If you spend your money on eating well, the right health supplements and an active range of skincare to get that cell-turnover happening, by working inside-out you will see quicker results. An effective, active skincare range should show you results in weeks (not months), which means less money spent on wasted skincare (everyone has those jars of miracle creams that didn’t do a damned thing – don’t try and deny it!).
2. REMOVE YOUR MAKEUP EVERY NIGHT
Yes, that means 2 x cleansing – the first to remove the makeup and the second to prep the skin for serum and moisturiser. How this will save you $$? Better skin means less makeup and less money spent on fixing skin problems and looking for that ‘magic’ foundation that will shrink pores and somehow make you as flawless as Gigi!
3. APPLY SUNSCREEN EVERY DAY
Even when it’s cloudy or overcast! Sun = damage = premature aging = wrinkles/skin cancers. Need I say more? How this will save you $$? Uh… let me see …Start with less trips to the doctors to have cancers cut out of your face = less money on plastic surgery to rectify the scarring and age damage!?!?! Just wear the sunscreen, already!!!
4. PREPARE YOUR FACE FOR MAKEUP
Every perfect canvas has been primed underneath, so why should your face be any different? I know I am a broken record with this one, but PRIMER should be your best friend by now. Apart from better skin (due to less product sinking into pores and you needing to scrub your face at night), you’ll use less foundation and shadow on a daily basis so your products will last longer.
Primers should be chosen based on your skin type and left to set before applying your foundation. I tend to stick to a thicker, hydrating formula over a thinner one, or anything that is overly mattifying, which can add an aged look to the skin. A staple in my kit is Youngblood Mineral Primer, a silky, light-weight formula that minimises pores and works for most skin types. If you have a super oily complexion, Cover FX Mattfying Primer with Acne treatment minimizes the appearance of fine lines and pores whilst healing any inflammation.
If, like me, you're prone to creased eye makeup, help your shadows stay-put with a base/cream product. NARS Pro Prime Smudgeproof Eyeshadow base earns its title as the best eye primer around. If you prefer something with a little colour to start you off, MAC, Stila, By Terry and Laura Mercier make some of the best paint pots and cream shadows. Remember, they must dry to a matte or tacky/powder finish (if they smudge or crease, so will your eyeshadow).
5. FIND MULTIPLE USES FOR STAPLE ITEMS
Got a stash of unused items that you grew tired of a season or two ago? Try these tips to get the most out of everything in your makeup bag;
- Lipsticks/Lipliners: Can be used as cream blush - apply over your liquid/cream foundation (under powder, of course). Check they don't smell off before you reinstate them to your kit!
- Shimmer eye colours: Gold/ivory tones can be used as highlighters for cheekbones (provided you use the correct colour for your skin tone).
- Bronzers: Those that are not too orange may be used as an eyeshadow to contour – the second colour you place into the eye socket (under the brow bone) to give some depth to eye colour.
- Wet/Dry eye shadows: Can be applied with a wet brush as an eyeliner.
- Gel Liners: Apply with ring finger or brush all over the lid (up to the brow bone) for a darker eye base that won’t smudge, and apply your shadow over the top (remember to blend!).
- Cotton buds: Use as smudge brushes for your upper and lower lash line. You can buy the tipped ones at Hot Dollar and Priceline now.
- Mascara Brushes: Got an expensive mascara that you LOVE but has now reached its use-by date? If you can’t afford to replace but also can’t bear the thought of parting with the perfect brush, clean it with warm soapy water and keep to reuse with new, cheaper mascara formula. Just remember to clean after each use if you are storing the brush separately.
And if you have done ALL of the above and still feel the need to stock up on some essential resources, “I hereby grant you permission” to check out the following where you won’t line up for hours to get good advice:
It's no secret that these ladies hold the holy grail to flawless skin. I've been visiting them for over 5 years and recommend that each one of my clients make the trip to get #skinfit before we even look at the makeup. Apart from the fact that they have an impressive array of active skin care, the team of skin experts have treatments to cater to your every beauty need. Plus, they offer a FREE skin consultation to ensure you get the right advice for your specific skin concerns. What's not to love?
Go where the artists go for the best in professional makeup including Make Up Forever, Cover FX(my saviour) and Japanese cult brand, Koh Gen Do – a favourite of celebs and MUAs that love a luminous complexion. I could spend hours here with the team who know their products inside out and are responsible for bringing some of the best unknown brands to Australia.
Now stocking MAC and NARS blush and eye shadows at reduced prices in an array of colours. MAC is notoriously difficult to find CHEAP AND LEGIT online, so I highly recommend you visit Cosmo to have a look at their stock. They also stock Amazing Shine Lashes for an absolute bargain price and great mini parfums, lip gloss and mascaras so you can cheaply replenish your supply as it goes off.
MECCA has some of the best brands in the business and staff that really seem to know what I'm on about. You will find the best of the best in pro-makeup at the Mecca Cosmetica boutiques, but if you prefer a pick'n'save experience, go to the Mecca Maxima stores (although be warned, the advice may not always from a trained makeup artist as this is their retail cosmetic store).
As always, don’t forget to shop around!
The Makeup by Tammi has all your beauty needs and advice covered!
It’s a New Year so why not get yourself sorted with a new look for 2016! I offer private and group makeup lessons, as well as makeup application for all occasions. Contact me today to book your consultation and get #skinfit in 2016.
Image credit: www.ftape.com